top of page

Right to get your information corrected

           In a seashell

Under PIPA’s section 19 (Correction, blocking, erasure and destruction), you have the right to make a written request to an organisation to correct an error or omission in any of your personal information which the organisation holds about you. This is known as the ‘right to rectification’. If your information is incomplete, you can ask the organisation to complete it by adding more details.


If there is an error or omission in personal information in respect of which a request for a correction is received by an organisation, the organisation must correct the personal information as soon as reasonably practicable. Additionally, where the organisation has disclosed the incorrect information to other organisations, the organisation is required to correct the information and send a notification containing the corrected information to each organisation to which the incorrect information has been disclosed, if it is reasonable to do so.


              How do I get my information corrected?

You should inform the organisation in writing that your personal information is inaccurate and that you want it corrected. You should:

  • state clearly what you believe is inaccurate or incomplete,

  • explain how the organisation should correct it, and

  • where available, provide evidence of the inaccuracies.


The request must be in writing. The added value of having everything in writing is that it will allow you to explain your complaint, give evidence and state your desired solution. It will also provide clear proof of your actions if you decide to challenge the organisation’s initial response. 

How should I make a complaint about how an organisation has mishandled my information?

You can use the template below to help you make your complaint.



[Your full address]
[Your phone number]
[The date]

[Name and address of the organisation]
[Reference number (if provided within the initial response)]

Dear [Sir or Madam / name of the person you have been in contact with]

Individual complaint under PIPA

[Your full name and any other details such as account number to help identify you]

I am concerned that you have not handled my personal information properly.

[Give details of your complaint, explaining clearly and simply what has happened and, where appropriate, the effect it has had on you.]

I understand that before reporting my complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Bermuda (PrivCom), I should give you an opportunity to address it.

If, after receiving your response, I would still like to report my complaint to PrivCom, I will give PrivCom a copy of your response to consider.

You can find guidance on your obligations under privacy rights legislation on PrivCom’s website ( as well as information on their regulatory powers and the action they can take.

Please send a full response within 45 days. If you cannot respond within that timescale, please let me know when you will be able to respond and why.

If there is anything you would like to discuss with me in relation to my complaint, please contact me on the following number [telephone number].

Yours faithfully

bottom of page